Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Landfall Freight Co Subscription Box Review: October 2015







       What is Landfall Freight?
Words and pictures together are a powerful way of communicating. Comics are able to transport readers to a completely different world or make our own world easier to understand. They can provide us with a connection, make us feel less alone, and inspire us to dream bigger and harder. They can change the way we see our world, and our place in it. 
Because these stories can have such an impact, we want to make it easier for more girls and women to explore graphic novels and comics without feeling intimidated, unrepresented, or overwhelmed.  We think it should be a fun, welcoming, and inspiring experience! 
We are two sisters who decided to make interesting comics more accessible and fun to explore. We pack each box on my kitchen table,  and we try to make sure that when you open your box, it feels like your best friend just sent you a care package. 
We chose the name Landfall Freight because "landfall" means your first sighting of land after a journey by air or sea, which is kind of how we envision our boxes traveling to each of you!
It also happens to be the name of the home planet of a bad-ass and complicated female character in our very favourite comic, Saga, and we couldn't really resist paying homage to Alana, our green-haired, winged hero. We like that Landfall has two great meanings! 
If you agree that girls and comics go together forever, sign up so we can help you make landfall in another world! Michelle & Tianna 
I took this directly from the company website, http://www.landfallfreight.com/about , because there was no way I could have described it better. 
This was my first experience with Landfall Freight Co although I have been a fan of subscription boxes for a few years. I had seen this circulating on "booktube" and was really impressed with the configuration of the boxes I had seen so I decided to splurge on myself and give it a try.
It does got about $29 a month but from what I have seen it serves as a good way to try out new comics that are female driven but are not just things that would be entertaining to females.








27278455

First, we received a single issue of "From Under the Mountains," and it was described as the following on goodreads. (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27278455-from-under-mountains-1)


MARIAN CHURCHLAND (8HOUSE ARCLIGHT, BEAST) co-writes with CLAIRE GIBSON; with art and colours by SLOANE LEONG. In the first issue of this new fantasy series, old feuds and new monsters rise up to haunt the isolated northern fortress of Karsgate.

I read this and thought it was a little disjointed. So far I like the main female character and thought I could see her coming into her own as the series progressed. Because this is only the first issue we have NO IDEA where this is headed which is fun and it is very new. I can already tell that the female character will play a pretty bad ass role going forward and I do think I will at lease pick up the next few issues or wait for Vol 1 to come out and give it a try. There are some magical and ancient elements so it will be neat to follow that going forward. 

I thought this was a great inclusion.


22398283

This a a nicely bound graphic and it just follows a single story line. I found that there is actually no description on goodreads.com and nothing really stating what it is about on the back so I went into it blind.

I actually really enjoyed this one as well. As I mentioned it was a good quality and the art was interesting. It was mostly shades of blue, white and black so it was simple but detailed. It is about a couple who are sitting looking out over a hill and the question comes up as to what they would do it there was a Zombie apocalypse. They are currently in a small Japanese town and they proceed through their strategies for survival as they face the situation.

This was very cute. The couple was very sweet with one another and the story line was simple but entertaining. I definitely thought it was worth picking up.

23395779

This was the biggest inclusion in the box. From what I can tell you usually get one full graphic novel and this can range from hardcover to just a well bound edition. This was the latter but it was definitely high quality. This was published by Dark Horse comics and the box also included a small Dark Horse pin which was cute.

I got the following description from goodreads.com (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23395779-heart-in-a-box)

When the Man with No Name breaks Emma's heart, she wants to die. But you never die from these things; you just want to. In a moment of weakness, she wishes her broken heart away and a mysterious stranger--who may or may not be totally evil--obliges. But emptiness is even worse than grief, and Emma sets out to collect the seven pieces of her heart spread across the country, a journey that forces her to face her own history and the cost of recapturing it, and leads inevitably to a confrontation with the Man with No Name himself!

I enjoyed this quite a bit. I thought the story was great. Basically a girl gets her heart broken and wishes she didn't have a heart and she didn't have to feel this way any more. A mysterious stranger shows up and offers her the deal of a lifetime, he will take her heart out of her hands. 

She quickly realizes that not having a heart is much worse than having one because everyday things seem meaningless without it. Amazingly enough she can basically go on a quest to locate her heart as it has already been "purchased" by 6 other people and she is forced to track down the pieces. She either has to trick the person into wishing her heart back to her or kill them to get it back.

It was really entertaining following as she went across country and realized the role her heart was playing in the lives of others. I really enjoyed this. 

The art was simplistic in terms of colors but the way the characters were presented actually reminded me a lot of Noelle Stevenson's style so I really enjoyed that.

I would recommend this highly but I will say I am not sure how a guy would enjoy the story but from my female perspective I found it wonderful.


OVERALL:

So we received a single issue, a nicely bound one off, and a full length graphic. We also received a few bonus items like heart temporary tattoos, heart garland, and a anatomically correct heart tote bag (this was also very high quality), as well as a small Dark House pin.

I felt like I enjoyed everything that was included and thought the price was pretty spot on. I actually signed up for a 3-month subscription so I am looking forward to seeing what they bring out next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment