Monday, July 20, 2015

Dare Me: Megan Abbott Review



Dare Me


Book: Dare Me
Author: Megan Abbott
Publication Date: July 31st 2012

My Review:


I have heard quite a few positive things about this book and actually it has been mentioned in a few articles on buzzfeed.com so I decided to give it a try.

It was just OKAY.

This is a high school cheerleader story with a little sex, murder, and drama thrown into the mix.

The cheerleader aspect was great. I enjoyed the attention to detail the author displayed in this area. As a former high school cheerleader I could clearly see the parallels to my cheer experience with the bitchy girls and all the tricks and stunts and drama but also sense of accomplishment you feel in that role.

The sex and murder was great too. I thought it had some interesting twists and turns but just not enough to really make me care.

I also felt that Addy, the main character was a bit under developed and up until the end when you learn a little more about her relationships do you really get a feel for her. 

I don't know. It just felt a little dated. It actually reminded me of the same style of writing that Daniel Handler used in "The Basic 8" so if you enjoyed that or if you enjoyed "We Were Liars" by E. Lockhart than I can see you enjoying this story.

For me, it just feel a little flat and I would have liked to see more and felt more for the characters.

My Rating: 3/5

Similar books: 

                                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment