Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Rose Under Fire (Code Name Verity #2) by Elizabeth Wein Review

17262236

Title: Rose Under Fire (Code Name Verity #2)
Author: Elizabeth Wein
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Publication Date: Sept 10, 2013

Description:

While flying an Allied fighter plane from Paris to England, American ATA pilot and amateur poet, Rose Justice, is captured by the Nazis and sent to Ravensbrück, the notorious women's concentration camp. Trapped in horrific circumstances, Rose finds hope in the impossible through the loyalty, bravery and friendship of her fellow prisoners. But will that be enough to endure the fate that's in store for her?

Elizabeth Wein, author of the critically-acclaimed and best-selling Code Name Verity, delivers another stunning WWII thriller. The unforgettable story of Rose Justice is forged from heart-wrenching courage, resolve, and the slim, bright chance of survival.

Review:

I was utterly and profoundly moved by the story of Rose Justice and her companions in an all female concentration camp during World War II. I am particularly fond of reading about the second World War for a lot of reasons. I think one of the main reasons is because the survivors of this war particularly have some of the most complex, brave, and heart breaking tales of their survival and to me it shows the resilience of humanity that ANYONE could have made it through such a difficult time and survived so much.

I feel like every time I read a story about someone, fictionalized or otherwise, surviving it inspires me and motivates me to stop being so petty and to realize that people have been through much worse than I have and made it out, and not only made it out but also thrived and grown into amazing people after their experience.

That is just some of what I felt reading the story. This book is the second in a companion series about women in WWII. The first in the series was also one of the best books I read last year, but also very different in tone and what aspects of the war it was trying to portray. I will say that they both did an excellent job of illustrating the importance of friendship, particularly female friendships.

Rose finds herself in a concentration camp after a series of unfortunate events and lives and works there for 6 months waiting out the end of the war. The story doesn't shy away the atrocities of the camp. From women being used for scientific experimentation, to beatings, starvation, sexual abuse and more it covers the complete gambit of what these several hundred thousand women went through.

What I found particularly important in the story was how a since of family was formed between this group of women and how important the survival of each other was to them. In a lot of ways, despite the hunger and anguish they were experiencing they still put each other first.

I think one of the hardest parts for me to read was how women actually fought over the jacket of someone who was on the list to go to the gas chamber because they couldn't take it anymore.

I don't want to give too much away about how the story unfolds but just know that if you are looking for a historical fiction with research and amazing character development then both books in this duology should be fist on your list. 

My Star Rating:

5 out of 5

Read If You Enjoyed:

11925514   6323104  2909769

No comments:

Post a Comment