Tuesday, March 29, 2016

The Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman Review

15993203

Title: The Dark Days Club
Author: Alison Goodman
Publisher: Viking Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: January 26, 2016

Description:

London, April 1812. On the eve of eighteen-year-old Lady Helen Wrexhall’s presentation to the queen, one of her family’s housemaids disappears-and Helen is drawn into the shadows of Regency London. There, she meets Lord Carlston, one of the few who can stop the perpetrators: a cabal of demons infiltrating every level of society. Dare she ask for his help, when his reputation is almost as black as his lingering eyes? And will her intelligence and headstrong curiosity wind up leading them into a death trap?

Review:

I was pleasantly surprised by this read. I have never read book by Alison Goodman but know her Eon/Eona duology is well loved but for some reason it just never really appealed to me.

When I heard about the plot of this book I decided I would give it a try. I love a good historical fiction and a little paranormal aspect sprinkled in sounded very Gail Carriger so I thought, why the heck not? I am so glad I picked it up.

The very first thing I noticed was the immense amount of research that must have gone into preparing this story. Everything down to the impeccable manners, social expectations, clothing, and political landscape were explained in such a way that made them all very believably accurate and also made the story feel more fleshed out and intriguing. 

I loved the main character, Lady Helen. She was witty and vibrant and so much fun to read from. I also loved her maid, Darby.

I enjoyed the love interest and it was interesting to see the treatment and responsibilities of women during that time and how different things are now and how much things have changed for our sex.

I thought the paranormal elements were very unique as well. Not only were the demons described is visible detail but the "Dark Days Club" was just such an interesting concept and the inclusion of alchemy just made the magic/paranormal aspects unlike any other story I have read.

If you enjoy historical fiction with a twist then I can see you loving this book. It was just so much fun from start to finish.

My Star Rating:

4 out of 5

Read if you Enjoyed:

Stray (Shifters, #1)  7728889  6381205  


No comments:

Post a Comment