Monday, June 8, 2015

The Wrath and The Dawn by Renee Ahdieh

18798983

Let me start by saying there is a lot of hype about this newly released YA novel and it is definitely living up to those standards.

I love the writing style and language used.

The story flowed well and I loved the idea of it being based on 1001 Arabian Nights. It made me want to pick up the classic.

As far as the characters are concerned.

Shazi was independent, confident, defiant,but also beautifully feminine.She was impetuous and young and I thought she was very easy to relate to and think that will be true for girls of any age reading her character.

Khalid was very conflicted and complex which I appreciated. You never really knew if you could believe what was going on with his character which I thought was great as a reader. He was also young but stood by his convictions and his mistakes which I found made me respect him.

The story started out to be something that seemed like it would be straight forward, a girl seeking revenge for the death of her friend at the hands of her new husband and a boy who kills a new bride every night.

You spend the majority of the first section listening to Shazi tell stories to stay alive each night and trying to understand the monster she has married and why he kills but also why he hasn't killed her. I loved the mystery and figuring it out as you went along.

I loved the love story between the characters and didn't feel like the triangle was overbearing. It actually made sense.

I definitely can't wait for the follow-up and I think this will appeal to a wide audience. I appreciated the glossary in the back and I appreciated the beautifully crafted language and really think this author is going to be someone to watch.

A wonderful debut that I would recommend across the board.

No comments:

Post a Comment