Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Thor: The Goddess of Thunder by Jason Aaron and Russell Dauterman



4/5 stars ****

I really enjoyed this.

Let me preface this by saying I have never read a "Thor" comic before.

I of course know about him from the wildly popular series of movies but I have never really dove into more of his story than that.

I picked this up on a whim. I have been enjoying female superhero graphic novels and thought this might be something to enjoy along those lines and I was pleasantly surprised.

I enjoyed the idea of Thor's hammer choosing who is most worthy at a particular time and although I don't know exactly how Thor lost his ability to wield the hammer I do know this new awesome female Thor is handling things pretty great.

Lots of cool creatures, like dark elves and Ice giants and programmed killer sharks and Odin's queen in charge instead of him...this is definitely chock full of girl power.

I think it will appeal to both male and female audiences though as the feminist themes are now overwhelming and there is still plenty of male Thor and familiar characters to go around.

I will definitely be continuing the series and am really looking forward to picking up more classic turned female-centric comics in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment