Wednesday, January 20, 2016

My Reading Habits: Jezire Akin



Something I get asked pretty frequently how I find time to read so much? Is that all I do? The answer is of course not!!!

First, let me say I read fairly quickly. I am not a skim reader but I would say that my reading pace is a little above average. This is definitely something that is helpful and changes from book to book based on genre and what the story is about.

Like anything some books are more complicated than others and I do not hide from these books. I read what I want to read when I want to read it and I don't give much thought to page counts or text size or anything along those lines. I just read what fits my mood.

One thing I can do that other people might find distracting and what really escalates how many books I complete is read multiple books at once. This will include all formats of books.

At any given time I will most likely be reading 4 books of varying types. One physical book, one audio book, one e-book, and typically a graphic novel or comic. I find that this gives me more opportunities to make time to read.

For example, I have a longer commute to work so an audio book set at 1.5x for nearly 2 hrs a day can get you pretty far. I also listen to audio books when working out sometimes which my husband and I try to do 3x's a week. A graphic novel might be something I pick up to kill a few minutes during a commercial break if I am watching TV alone. We don't have a DVR upstairs so if I am watching TV upstairs while my husband is down stairs this might be something I am doing.




I often have a lull in activities at work and a few scheduled breaks. Instead of filling that time snacking I will often pick up my current e-book. For my physical book reading time I will read during lunch, I am the only one scheduled for lunch at my time so I rarely go to lunch with anyone, and I will also pick up my physical book for about 30 minutes before bed.

I know it might be easy to think that I don't do anything else in my spare time but read but that is definitely not the case. I rarely, almost never, read during the weekend. From Friday when I come home until Sunday evening I won't pick up a book. I will work on a house project, clean, hang out with my friends and husband, have a few drinks or catch up some netflix instead.




I also have plenty of time to cook dinner with my husband 4-5 days a week and walk our dog and hang out with our cats. BUT, we don't have any kids and we are able to make our own schedules because of that. I make sure to squeeze in the things I love to do which includes spending QT with my husband and pets and watching trashy TV at night also. 



I think the point of this post is that time management is important. I am able to do what I want to do because I use the time I have to complete my goals in a timely manner. Some days that works better than others but for the most part I think that is what helps me get the most reading bang for my buck. Just making time to do things that I enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment